Skip to main content

Student Employment

Office Hours

Student Employment is open Monday through Friday, except holidays, from 9 am – 4 pm. You may reach us directly by phone or email at (808) 675-4710 or

One-Location Employment

All BYU–Hawaii students, including those registered for an approved semester leave, may work at only one location: BYUH or PCC.

Employment Opportunities

If you are currently employed at either BYUH or PCC, please login to Workday to apply for jobs. If you do not have a job on campus or at PCC then you will need to apply for jobs through our job board and will be required to create a candidate account.

Work Hours

BYU–Hawaii Work Hours Policy

How to Clock In and Out (Student Employees)


All actively enrolled students, both domestic and international, that are employed on-campus may work up to 19 hours per week even if the start or end of the semester falls midweek. Students cannot work more than 19 hours a week.

The one-week break between semesters

All actively enrolled students, both domestic and international, may work up to 40 hours during the one-week break between semesters.

Summer Break

Summer employment is contingent upon active enrollment in spring and fall semesters. During the 9-week break, student employees may work up to 40 hours per week, with the exception of the fourth week, which must be 19 hours.

Approved Semester Leave

Students on an approved semester leave may work up to 40 hours per week for three consecutive weeks but must decrease to 19 hours on the fourth week. Domestic students on approved semester leave are subject to FICA.

Please note that students must apply and be approved for semester leave in order to continue employment in their student positions. To apply for semester leave, students must meet with their academic advisor or visit the Office of the Registrar to complete the required form.

New and Returning Students

New and returning students may begin working three weeks prior to the start of the semester they are admitted.


FICA (Social Security and Medicare taxes)

To qualify for FICA exemption, domestic students must be enrolled in six credits or more during fall and winter semesters. They must be enrolled in eight credits in the Spring semester to be exempt from FICA. All international students are FICA exempt. They must be enrolled in school full-time.

Domestic students who are enrolled in less than six credits, are on an approved semester leave, or working through the nine-week summer break are subject to FICA taxes.