Skip to main content

Medical Insurance

To qualify for medical insurance, you must be hired into an eligible full-time classification, which are as follows:

  • full-time staff
  • full-time administrative
  • full-time faculty
  • full-time visiting faculty

Two medical insurance plans are available with varied plan designs, coverage, and premiums. These are provided by Deseret Mutual Benefits Administrators (DMBA).

Deseret Choice- Hawaii

Deseret Choice Hawaii is a high-option plan and covers you almost anywhere you go. When receiving care from Deseret Choice Hawaii contracted providers, the plan pays for 90% of most services and you are responsible for the remaining 10%.

Kaiser of Hawaii

Kaiser of Hawaii is an alternative to traditional plans. When receiving care from Kaiser of Hawaii contracted providers, the plan pays 90% of most services and you are responsible for the remaining 10%.

Open Enrollment

Changes to medical plans can only be made during the open enrollment period every October 1 to October 31. The choices you make in open enrollment will be for the next calendar year starting January 1. If you don’t make any changes, you will automatically keep your current plan.

Medical insurance can be waived, if desired. However, you will be required to enroll in Disability, Life (BGTL), and OAD&D.

2020 Premiums by Pay Period

Deseret Choice Hawaii (Medical only)

Type Employee Premium Employer Premium
Single $50.90 $224.90
2 Party $100.60 $445.90
Family $152.75 $691.65

Kaiser Hawaii (Medical only)

Type

Employee Premium

Employer Premium

Single $64.05 $287.05
2 Party $127.75 $573.85
Family $195.45 $892.90

Deseret Dental

Type Employee Premium Employer Premium
Single $1.30 $11.80
2 Party $2.55 $22.70
Family $5.90 $52.85

Deseret Dental PLUS

Type Employee Premium Employer Premium
Single $5.20 $18.35
2 Party $10.00 $35.45
Family $23.25 $82.50

Life & Disability Only

Type Employee Premium Employer Premium
Single $3.85 $16.65
2 Party $3.90 $16.85
Family $3.90 $16.85

Vision Service Plan (VSP)


Type Employee Premium Employer Premium
Single $3.30 $4.75
2 Party $6.25 $9.15
Family $9.15 $14.05

Part-time Employee Premiums by Pay Period

Deseret Choice Hawaii (Medical only)

Type Employee Premium Employer Premium
Single $225.20 $224.74
2 Party $525.60 $461.84
Family $823.50 $722.54

For more information, please see DMBA.com or contact our benefits specialist at (808) 675-3490 .