Instructions for Graduates
Students who are graduating and leaving the island on or near graduation day must stop working three days prior to graduation and complete a “Request for Final Payroll Check” form. The Request for Final Payroll Check form must be submitted three days prior to graduation. Students should send completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org after clocking out for their final shift and all hours worked have been submitted and approved by their supervisor. Students will receive their final paycheck on the Friday of the week of graduation.
For those graduating and not leaving the island near graduation day, the last day of work will be graduation day. Graduating students should still submit the Request for Final Payroll Check form, especially if they will be leaving and closing their bank account before the last payday of the semester. Students whose last day of work is graduation day will receive their final paycheck the Monday or Wednesday after graduation, depending on when the request form was turned in.
*International student graduates may work until graduation day if they will not be leaving the island on or near graduation.
*Domestic graduates may legally work up to three weeks post-graduation as a student.
COVID-19 Related Temporary Changes
International graduates that are required to remain in the U.S. post-graduation due to border closures of their home country that prevent the graduate from flying home may submit a request for economic hardship through a process with the International Student Services (ISS). This request is to receive special approval to work post-graduation.
ISS employment information and instructions can be found on the ISS website. Among the employment options listed, economic hardship is an option for both F-1 and J-1 students. Students experiencing economic hardship due to circumstances specified in the regulations may pursue this option.
This type of employment is not an automatic authorization. The student must qualify and be in status. Recent guidance allows students who are on DSO extensions to work, but they are subject to eligibility requirements and guidelines.
All international graduates from Winter 2020 MUST end work effective December 11, 2020. If given the needed approval by ISS the graduate may then apply for jobs and begin work after the onboarding is complete. In order to be hired the student must provide the ISS approval letter to Student Employment.
Semester Specific Dates
- Graduates leaving the island - last day of work is Wednesday, December 9, 2020.
- International graduates leaving after Dec 25 - last day should be December 11, 2020.
- Domestic graduates - last day of work is December 11, with notice to HR may extend until January 1, 2020.
- Graduates leaving the island - last day of work is Wednesday, April 14, 2021.
- International graduates leaving after May 1 - last day should be April 17, 2020.
- Domestic graduates - last day of work is April 17, with notice to HR may extend until May 8.
- Graduates leaving the island - last day of work is Wednesday, June 23, 2020.
- International graduates leaving after July 9 - last day should be June 26, 2020.
- Domestic graduates - last day of work is June 26, with notice to HR may extend until July 17, 2020.