Student Employment Reminders
·         Last day of employment for graduating students: International = June 7; Domestic = June 22.
·         Summer employment for continuing students is contingent upon current and Fall enrollment.
·         Effective June 7, students may work increased hours depending on department need and budget; this will                initiate the 40/40/40/19 schedule permitted during summer break. Students must drop to 19 hours every                 4th week until the end of summer break.
·         Domestic students are subject to FICA effective June 11 until Fall classes resume.  
·         New and returning students enrolled in the Fall may begin work 3 weeks before the start of the semester.

One-Location Employment

 All BYU-H students, including those registered on approved semester leave, may work at only 1 location: PCC or BYU-H. Likewise, those on paid internships at either PCC or BYU-H may only work at the same location and not both.

Work Hours


All actively enrolled students, both domestic and international, employed on-campus may work only 19 hours per week. During the 2016-2017 academic year, no exceptions will be granted to exceed the 19 hours/week limit.

Christmas Holiday break:

All actively enrolled students, both domestic and international, may work up to 40 hours during the two-week holiday break at one location (PCC or BYUH, not both). Students must manage their time to ensure that they have not worked 4 consecutive weeks over 20 hours.

Summer break:

All actively enrolled students, both domestic and international, may work a 40/40/40/19 schedule during the 7-week summer break pending department approval and budget. If students are not able to receive additional hours at their current position, they may apply for an additional job at the same location of their primary position.


To access the 2017 Student Employment Compensation Structure, please click 

Employment during Approved Semester Leave

Students on approved semester leave may work up to 40 hours per week for three consecutive weeks but must decrease to 19 hours on the fourth week. Domestic students on approved semester leave are subject to FICA.

Please note that students must apply and be approved for semester leave in order to continue employment in their student positions. To apply for semester leave, the student must meet with their Academic Advisor or visit the Registrar's office to complete the required form.

New and Returning Students

New and returning students may work 3 weeks prior to the start of the semester they are admitted.


FICA (Social Security and Medicare taxes:

Exempt from FICA

  • Domestic students actively enrolled in 6 credits or more are FICA exempt.
  • All international students are FICA exempt. IWORK students must be enrolled in at least 14 credits per semester. All other international students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per semester.


Subject to FICA

  • Domestic students who are enrolled in less than 6 credits.
  • Domestic students on approved semester leave.
  • Graduated domestic students working beyond their graduation date. 

Last Day of Employment for Graduating Students            

Fall 2016 October 31,2016 October 30, 2016 November 14, 2016
Winter 2016-2017 February 25, 2017 February 24, 2017 March 11, 2017
Spring 2017 June 8, 2017 June 7, 2017 June 22, 2017 

Additional Reminders

1) Payroll deadlines for all time edits and deductions are Mondays of every payroll week at noon. Late submissions will be carried onto the following payroll.


2) Departments are required to schedule work hours so that all actively enrolled students are working only 19 hours per week. No exceptions will be granted to students, even for those registered with reduced course load or enrolled with few credits in their last semester.

3) Please process termination and compensation requests in Workday.

4) All compensation requests must be accompanied by a completed Student Performance Evaluation/Feedback form. Compensation/pay increase are not automatic. They are reviewed carefully according to the current student compensation structure.

5) Student Performance Evaluation/Feedback forms and instructions are available at If there is available student comp budget, departments may request merit increases and forward completed performance evaluations by e-mail to Student Employment (

6) Students requesting a termination check must submit a "Request for Final Payroll Check" form, resignation letter, and a signed and approved timesheet. Students must stop working once they have submitted all termination request paperwork. Student Employment must receive this information at least two days prior to the requested check date. Any late requests will be processed in the next regular payroll.


 If you have any questions, please contact Student Employment at 675-4710 or 675-3749.